Oh yes, that dreaded S word…. Single.
Yes, I’m 23 and not ashamed to admit that I’m quite happy being single. Sure, there’s moments where I feel self conscious about it, sometimes even pressured into feeling like I should be in a relationship. Sometimes to the point where I start to question myself and why I’m still single.
I’m sure a lot of people can relate to this, you know when your parents start saying “I wish someone would just take her”, I mean, no pressure, no pressure at all… eh? If only I could get my hands on a decent one, yeah, dream on Laura…
A lot of the time I see negativity about being single, so here’s some of the things I enjoy about being single…
- When you’re on a night out with the girls, you don’t have to turn down a dance with a handsome stranger, yaaaaas!
- You don’t need to constantly worry about having perfectly shaved legs in the winter time (lets face it, we all leave it just that little bit longer during the cold weather, I mean it’s acceptable since they’re always gonna be covered up, right?)
- Sometimes, just maybe, we all want to just watch a film with no distractions…
- You don’t have to feel self conscious about coming home and going bare faced and whipping the bra off (best. feeling. ever.)
- You get to spend more time focusing on yourself and who you are and where you stand in life, instead of trying to figure why your boyfriend is being a dick
- Girly holidays with your other single friends! Sun, beach, cocktails, and beautiful men? mhmmmm, yes please!
That’s just a few of the perks of being single, but the best part is, you’re still young, and you have a the freedom to do whatever the hell you want. You want to move away or go away traveling for a year with friends? go for it! And the best part? You don’t need a man to rectify your exisance. You want to change up your hair? Go on a massive shopping spree? Wear make up the way you like it? You can do it without feeling like you have to have someone’s approval.
Dont get me wrong, there’s moments we all have when we see cute couples online and we start thinking “I want a relationship like that” and everntually get to the point where we’re thinking “okay, let’s face it, I’m gonna end up growing old as a crazy cat lady”, well that does sound more appealing than a crappy relationship, but on a real note, not gonna happen babes. I’ve learned to love being single and not depending on anyone for anything, let me tell you I’m never gonna be one of those girlfriends boasting about what their boyfriends buy them, that’s one of my pet hates, I can’t stand it!
The point of this post is to remind us ladies that it’s okay to be single, as I believe self love comes before any other type of love, it’s so important, because even if we don’t realise it, if we can’t love ourselves, how can we expect to love someone else?
The main thing I’ve learned from experience is to never let past relationships affect future relationships. Yes, the person or the relationship might have ended up crappy, but even if you might think it, that doesn’t mean every relationship is going to be crappy. Remember being a teenager and saying “all boys are the same”? that’s another thing I’ve learned, yes there’s a lot of douche bags out there, but as hard as they are to find, I’m holding onto the hope that there’s still some decent ones left.
On that note, if you ever feel shitty about being single, listen to “I Don’t Need A Man – Pussycat Dolls”, thank me later…
I really hope this post made sense, you enjoyed reading.
Thanks for reading, and thank you so much for helping me reach over 2k total views, and 60 followers!